Saturday, May 10, 2008

Restaurant Review: The Levee Perk Cafe

What a delightful little hole-in-the wall: The Levee Perk Cafe! Their web presence leaves a little something to be desired, but the goods are well... good!

It's your standard sammy shop, with tasty sammies, wraps, and salads, but perhaps the most unique thing on the menu is the topped pretzels. Quite intrigued, as I didn't quite "get it", I had to get one. I didn't know if I should expect a pretzel sandwich, a microwaveable big soft pretzel covered in stuff, or what...

Well the results were divine: I ordered the veggie pretzel, which a large, tasty homemade (large!) soft pretzel. It had a thin layer of marinara sauce and two slices of melted mozzarella, and then it was heaped with fresh sauteed veggies, like green and yellow squash, mushrooms, roasted red peppers, etc. My only quasi-complaint was that there was almost TOO much squash on it, but that's an easily resolvable problem (I just pushed some off!). It was like a mini-veggie pizza with a super amazing tasty crust. Get this: only $4.50!!

A co-worker invested in the chicken cordon bleu pretzel, which was covered in chunks of chicken and cheese. Also looked quite scrumptious.

The price mislead me, as I assumed that it would then be relatively small so I got a side. They have a very unique list of down-homey sides, like the german potato salad, which I had. Many times, German potato salad is too vinegary, but theirs was a delightful balance of sweet + sour.

The place is small (~10/15 tables in a standard deli-sized space). The staff friendly (lots of grandmas behind the counter making the food, and our waiter was this large, young, nice looking football player -- bull in a china shop for sure. Someone's nephew was home from college for the summer looking for some extra bucks, so it seems.). Oh and we grabbed tasty cookies on the way out - super soft choco chip with a little Hershey kiss throw in the middle. Nom!

No comments: